Before and After photos are always the best to showcase what is possible with a can of paint! But not just any paint… we are referring to Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan because it is both an interior paint and exterior paint!
Anne, who is part of team at The Purple Painted Lady® has a young family and she and her husband Zack are serious DIYer’s. From renovating their basement, to gutting their kitchen and bathrooms…they do not shy away from any project!
This is Anne…isn’t she beautiful?
One smaller project she is currently in the process of doing – is giving her front entrance a face lift.
Anne wanted to tone down the red of the brick. She chose Chalk Paint® in the color Old White.
Old White is the quintessential color to have in your painting pantry or toolbox! It is the perfect color, in that it plays perfectly with every other color! Old White out sells every other color in Annie’s suite. NOTE though – that Old White is a very soft cream….. in my opinion. I think it looks literally like cream. Something also to note….it does have the slightest hint of yellow.
If debating between this color and Pure White or Old Ochre Chalk Paint®, visit this link here => http://www.thepurplepaintedlady.com/2014/04/difference-between-annie-sloans-white-chalk-paint-colors/
Anne started with adding about 20% of water to a small portion of the Old White, but it wasn’t laying the way she wanted. So, being that Chalk Paint® is an artisan paint- she started to dip her brush straight into the paint can, brushed it directly on the brick- and then dipped her brush into a cup of water and used the damp brush to spread the paint.
Some things to consider when doing this project:
- If painting over concrete – place a drop cloth down. If you drip paint on the sidewalk- it will leave a mess that you will not be able to wash away. (even with a powerwasher)
- I would suggest doing this project on a day that the temperature is reasonable. Meaning in the 60’s, 70’s or low 80’s.
- Check the weather forecast to make sure no major rainstorms are expected in the next 24 hours. After that- you can have a Monsoon and not worry one bit about that paint!
- Start out with the paint thinned more versus less with water. Remember – you can always apply another coat of the “wash” to make the white pigment heavier.
- Experiment with painting some random bricks in more of a solid to give dimension. Or consider painting some random bricks using Paris Grey Chalk Paint®. You could even use the Paris Grey to cut in the mortar joints …if you have the patience.
Here is the “almost” finished outcome since Anne still has the top left corner. Anne has not decorated her front stoop yet, but she always is working on different seasonal decorations to make her house a beautiful and inviting home! Once she does- we will add a final photo.
DO I NEED TO SEAL IT?:
Chalk Paint®️ by Annie Sloan is also an exterior paint. Absolutely no topcoat is needed over the brick. Bricks are extremely porous and they pull that color in. As you know, chalk paint®️ sticks, grips and adheres to virtually any surface. Once it is dried and cured …..it is almost impossible to remove it. We just recommend checking the forecast before beginning a project like this and making sure that it’s not going to rain for 24 hours.
If you transform a project and would like to share it with The Purple Painted Lady® via your Facebook or Instagram page, please use our hashtag!!! #thepurplepaintedlady We love seeing what you are all working on!
BUY PRODUCT FROM …..THE PURPLE PAINTED LADY®:
First- if you have a local stockist- go visit them and build a relationship with them. Go to them with your questions and project issues. BUT- if you do not have a local stockist- we invite you to try our customer service!
As for buying any of the products we mentioned earlier in this post- I hope that you select The Purple Painted Lady® to be your one stop resource! We have four locations in western NY. Check out our Information tab and come and meet us! Otherwise- if you are not located near me- the following information may apply to you.
This information is directed to those who do NOT have a local stockist. Because if you do – go and meet them, shop from them and build a relationship with them. The guidance, information and knowledge they share with you – will be invaluable. Get inspired by their shop that they lovingly curated – just for you! Enjoy that one on one experience! But for those who are in a location where there is no one selling paint products- and you must buy on-line- consider us. With that said, visit www.anniesloan.com to find a stockist near you.
We are here to help you, our customers! We want you to be successful!
SOME OF THE REASONS WE THINK THE PURPLE PAINTED LADY® CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE BEST:
* We love our customers and it shows!
* Ordering online? If you order before 3 pm EASTERN TIME any day Monday thru Friday – we will ship out your package that SAME day. We ship orders out every since week day all over the US.
* We offer low flat rate UPS shipping cost so if you are one town away or 10 states away- the shipping cost is the same.
* We have awesome follow up customer service, too!
* We sell Chalk Paint® for $34.95
: ) And I will be here to help you as you progress through your future project! And if I do say so myself- we offer the BEST customer service that you will ever experience! Lastly- if I was helpful to you- ….please consider leaving a positive review on my Facebook business page sharing your positive experience or thoughts about The Purple Painted Lady®. Here is a link to my Facebook page=> http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Purple-Painted-Lady/291882785710
This really helps me! (wink, wink!)
The Purple Painted Lady® ~ the serial no. is 86/641,416 with the US Trademark Office